Developing & Using Performance Measure
Most people - whether executives, managers, strategy or performance professionals, or analysts - struggle to develop KPIs and other measurements well. This course helps participants who are working to find meaningful measures, get true buy-in to performance measurement, align measures to strategy, and use measures to drive improvement to reach targets.
This Developing and Using Performance Measure training course enables you to implement or upgrade measurement systems in your department or organization. The training course links activity with strategy through success factors and performance measures. It also clarifies the differences and connections between critical success factors (CSFs), key results indicators (KRIs), and key performance Indicators (KPIs) explaining how each should be used and how to pick the vital few measures from the many indicators that most organizations use. It will also address the human factors and their impact on the implementation of the performance measurement system. You will discover a powerful method for implementing a successful performance measurement system, exploring a range of proven performance measures including Balanced Scorecard and OKR Worksheet.
- Introduction - Performance measurement is a process, not an event. We discuss the problems with performance measurement and how to solve them by thinking about performance measurement as a process.
- STEP 1: PM Diagnostic - Fixing the focus firmly on continuous improvement. We start off on the right foot with the PM Diagnostic to help your Measures Team understand what good measurement means, and how to do it properly to avoid the most common struggles and problems.
- STEP 2: Results Mapping - Making the strategy clear, focused and measurable. We explore why it's so hard to measure the right things, how to know if a strategy (i.e. your goals, objectives or priorities) is measurable enough, and how the PM Results Mapping technique can make strategy measurable.
- STEP 3: Measure Design - Choosing meaningful measures that evidence results. We review the traditional approaches people take to selecting measures and why they fail, and then see how the Performance Measure Design technique produces measures that are meaningful, relevant, cost-effective and easy for people to buy-in to.
- STEP 4: Measure Gallery - Organically building buy-in beyond the team. There are some very specific reasons why people don't buy in to performance measures which we will explore, and we'll see how the Performance Measure Gallery technique can build buy-in and generate excitement for performance measurement.
- STEP 5: Measure Definitions - Defining and documenting how to implement the measures. We talk about the causes behind why so many measures are never brought to life (i.e. never get reported or used) and how the Performance Measure Definition technique is so useful for specifying exactly how each measure should be implemented.
- STEP 6: Performance Reporting - Creating useful & usable performance reports that inspire action. We'll look at why typical performance reports are next to useless, and discover how the PM Report Design technique quickly and easily produces performance reports that answer the 3 questions every performance report should answer.
- STEP 7: Measure Interpretation - Responding to true signals in the measures. It's so easy to misinterpret performance measure signals, and frighteningly, most people do. So we'll follow the Performance Measure Interpretation technique to make interpretation of performance measures easier, valid and incredibly insightful.
- STEP 8: Using Measures - Improving business processes to improve performance. The role of performance measures is to improve performance more easily, quickly and economically. The PM Using Measures technique shows how to use performance measures to get the highest leverage improvements.
- Close - Preparing for a successful PM implementation. We'll close the workshop by focusing on how to start implementing PM to choose, create and use your first meaningful performance measures, in a way that brings quick success.
Course Benefits - What do I learn?
- Realize the benefits of utilizing an effective Performance Measurement System.
- To understand the concept of Strategy and Strategy Execution.
- Deploy a successful methodology for developing and implementing performance metrics.
- Address the human factors of implementing a performance measurement system.
- Design, develop and implement Balanced Scorecard Worksheet and OKR as a tool for measuring organizational performance.
- Evaluate and select success factors/CSFs and performance measures/KRIs/KPIs.
- Who is this Training Course for?
All personnel involved in developing and implementing Performance Measures.
- Advisors, planners, and others developing Balanced Scorecards (BSC).
- Functional, Line and Operational Managers.
- Process Improvement/Quality managers.
- Project / PMO Managers.
- Executives, managers and other leaders
- Strategic Planning and Performance Measurement Officers
- Business Analysts and Reporting Officers
- Project Managers, Performance Improvement Officers and Consultants
NOTE: To further leverage the value and impact of the Programme, we encourage organisations to send cross-functional teams of executives to P4PE Institute. We offer one of two exciting group benefits to companies sending three or more participants to this programme.
Advanced registration is required to join this course. Limited class size and registration window means early birds have an advantage. Register now and access qualifying discounts.